Kerosene heaters are very efficient and safe for your home. However, if you don’t use them correctly or if they aren’t cleaned regularly, they can cause a lot of damage. Kerosene is a flammable liquid that when it burns, produces a large amount of heat.

Kerosene burners take oxygen to create energy. If they’re operating at an inadequately vented area or in a small room, oxygen in the surrounding air may be lowered to an unsafe level.

Short circuiting will occur and that will result in incomplete combustion of the fuel. This means that kerosene heater is emitting toxic smoke. That’s why kerosene heaters are not permitted in some fire-prone environments like homes, wood working shops and places where there are no fire protective solutions.

Kerosene heaters produce poisonous carbon monoxide gas if they are used improperly. They can produce carbon monoxide poisoning if the proper safety measures aren’t taken before starting the burner. If you use kerosene heaters indoors, you have to open the door and turn it off when you’re done using it. The exhaust port opening must also be kept closed and you should install a carbon monoxide sensor.

How To Light A Kerosene Heater

How To Light A Kerosene Heater

In order to prevent carbon monoxide from being produced during combustion, kerosene heaters should never be used in rooms that are sealed. You can use kerosene heaters outdoors for outdoor purposes.

They can also be used inside enclosed rooms, but you need to keep them invested. Unvented kerosene heaters produce harmful nitrogen dioxide that can cause serious problems including asthma attacks, chest pains, dizziness, nausea, and headaches. Even if your pet accidentally ingested some of the poisonous gas, you won’t feel any harm because it is odorless.

Kerosene heaters use kerosene fuel as their source of energy. It burns at an extremely high temperature and produces lots of smoke. But that’s not all they produce. When kerosene heaters are used for heating water or cooking, they emit steam as well. They also produce condensation on the walls and windows. That is why kerosene heaters should never be used without proper ventilation.

Since kerosene heaters produce lots of smoke, it is very important to constantly monitor your home. Have your furnace checked regularly by a qualified technician. You should never allow a kerosene heater to refuel in your central heating system.

If the kerosene heater overheats, the pilot light will go out and you may have to turn the system off. If the kerosene heater does not refuel, then you must call for help from a service technician. Never let the kerosene heater refuel in the central heating system if you do not know how to refuel it or if you are unsure about the process.

When kerosene heaters are used for cooking, they generate so much heat that the amount of oxygen present in the room is reduced. This causes suffocation if someone is trying to get into the burning space. Asphyxiation from carbon monoxide can occur at anytime, especially after partial combustion. People who experience this condition should get out immediately and seek medical attention.

If you are using kerosene to fuel your heater, make sure that you only use kerosene that is made from the same oil, such as Castor oil or coconut oil. The higher the grade of kerosene you use, the more pure the fuel is, reducing the risk of allergic reactions and respiratory problems. Before purchasing any kind of kerosene heater, test the wick to make sure it is of the same quality as your central heating system. Only use kerosene that was manufactured under high quality standards.

About the Author

James Laress

I know everything about heating a house, heaters and kerosene. If You need to know something about heaters, let me know!

View All Articles